11.06.2008

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Harping


Yesterday afternoon, when I picked Lola up from school, she came through the double doors with The Look on her face that let me know I'd committed some offense. Since I hadn't even see her since 7 a.m., she'd had about nine hours to stew about it and practice that expression, so I can assure you, it was not pretty. I braced myself:

Lo: I'VE HAD THE WORST DAY EVER!

TR: What happened?

Lo: Well, to start with, YOU forgot to pack my Target binder!

TR: Crap! I was thinking today was Tuesday...

Lo: It's WEDNESDAY, Mom! And you're lucky we had a sub...

TR: So you didn't get in trouble?

Lo: NO, but that's another thing--we had a sub! I hate subs. And now my book bag is FULL of papers that need to go in my binder. FULL OF THEM! And at lunch today, I dropped my hamburger--which was on a HOTDOG BUN anyway. And they didn't have honey mustard for my fries.

TR: I'm sorry.

Lo: So I'm STARVING. What are we having for dinner?

TR: Tuna Helper.

Lo: You have GOT to be kidding!

TR: No, that's what I planned to have...

Lo: Why are you turning here?

TR: We have to go to PetSmart to get crickets.

Lo: This day just gets worse and worse. Can't you wait and get them tomorrow?

TR: I can't. I'm going out of town.

Lo: WHAT!? Where are you going?

TR: To a writing conference in St. Augustine.

Lo: FOR HOW LONG?!

TR: Until Sunday.

Lo: I have to stay with DAD?

TR: Yeah.

Lo: He doesn't even know how to sign my school planner. He won't let me have Pop-Tarts for my snack! Don't go!

TR: I have to go.

Lo: FIrst you don't pack my binder, I drop my hamburger, and there's no honey mustard for my fries. Now, we're having Tuna Helper and we have to go to PetSmart to buy crickets, but I'm sure you won't let me get a rabbit. Then you're going out of town, and I have to stay with DAD and JACK!

TR: Oh, and Dad's taking you to the doctor tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess Lola will be joining Fay in the cage all weekend.

Tania Rochelle said...

Don't put Fay in the cage!

Collin Kelley said...

Woah, glad I'm not going to be in the House of T.Ro this weekend.

Tania Rochelle said...

Or any other weekend, really.

Anonymous said...

lola is joining mamoo for the weekend. and if tania's precious fay is going to be mistreated, i'll keep her too.

Lola said...

don't forget i still ate my hamburger off the ground. and there was no ketchup or mustard.

esk said...

Cute banter!

We all know what it's like to have one of "those" days...

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered