1.29.2007

Deli

Tonight I dash into Publix to pick up some roast beef for Biggy so I won't have to hear him cry in the morning about what he's gonna have for breakfast. While I'm waiting for the woman in the shower cap to slice it up, I see this:




"What the heck is mortadella?" I ask her, wondering if anyone would actually eat something with MORT [Middle English, death, from Old French, from Latin mors, mort-; see mer- in Indo-European roots] in it.

"It's made from ground pork paste and studded with pork fat taken from the throat of the pig," she informs me.

Exactly.

12 comments:

minus five said...

sick. i would choose death.

Anonymous said...

Can you get that in a spread?

Angie said...

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth while reading that..

Anonymous said...

Please tell me you at LEAST bought a quarter pound of that stuff, come on!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm-Mmmmmm_Mmmm...pig throat...just like mama used to make.
maybe it means: what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger....but this comes damn close!

Montgomery Maxton said...

great on a ritz!

Tania Rochelle said...

Don't be a whore, Garey.

Howard said...

I eat it for lunch everyday. I like it with a LOT of mayonaisse, sauerkreaut, cabbage, pumpernikel bread, and a nice brussel sprout paste I make. Oh and a glass of prune juice to wash it down.

Then I spend the afternoon projectile vomiting.

I think I just went vegetarian. Thanks.

Collin Kelley said...

Wait...Biggy eats roast beef for breakfast?

Anonymous said...

the old italians up here make a sausage they call "supressa"(not sure of correct spelling). it's a nasty, fatty glob of meat bound with string and hangs in their cellar for months....occasionally they go down and scrape the mold off it........as long as you have enough wine, you can eat anything!

Jennifer said...

T,
Are you sure someone didn't just take a dump in the deli case?

Mary Campbell said...

disgusting. anything described as "studded with pork fat" should not be consumed.

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered