6.09.2006

Friday Nostalgia




When we were juniors and seniors in high school, living in Powder Springs, the town without a traffic light, my friends and I would lie to our parents that we were "spending the night with Julia" and drive to the big-city Marietta for the midnight showing of Rocky Horror. I wish I had pictures of our lame attempts to dress up and participate--SAY IT!

For those of my students who are too young to know this movie (Is anyone, really?), that IS Susan Sarandon (you know, from "Stepmom.") You should also check her out in the perverse 1983 film "The Hunger" with David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve.

A bit of summary for this 1975 cult classic, lifted from rockyhorror.com:

On the way to visit an old college professor, the two clean cut kids, Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) and his fiancee Janet Weiss (Susan Sarandon), run into tire trouble and seek help at the site of a light down the road. It's coming from 'the Frankenstein place', where Dr. Frank N Furter (Tim Curry), a transvestite from the planet Transexual in the galaxy of Transylvania, is in the midst of one of his maniacal experiments - he's created the perfect man, a rippling piece of beefcake christened Rocky Horror (Peter Hinwood), and intends to put him to good use (his own) in his kinky household retinue, presided over by a hunchback henchman named Riff Raff (Richard O'Brien) and his incestuous sister Magenta (Patricia Quinn), and assisted by a tap dancing groupie-in-residence, Columbia (Little Nell).

3 comments:

minus five said...

i know this one.
finally.

i even have, "time warp" on my ipod.

when i worked at the photo lab during the summer in austin, a guy who also worked there was obsessed with participating in the movie. there was a whole gang of those people. they had rehearsals all the time and were always with each other and every friday night, they would perform. during the midnight show. at the mall's movie theater.

his name was guy goodenough.
need i say more.

Collin Kelley said...

There's a cast called Lips Down On Dixie (doesn't that sound perverted?) that dresses up and participates every Friday at midnight at the old Plaza Theatre in Midtown.

I haven't been in ages, but I also spent many a lost weekend at "Rocky Horror" throwing things and screaming un-pc lines at the screen.

"F-cka, f-cka, f-cka me...I wanna get HIV..." comes to mind.

k said...

Oh good god. I LOVE this movie. I went to one of those midnight shows where they throw food & stuff at the theater. I was dating a sweet little weird guy. I wonder where he is now.
Anyway, rock on Meatloaf.

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered