12.06.2006

As Long as You're Wishing



When people ask me to tell them about Sadie, I always start with, "Sadie was never a baby." It's true. She was wise in the eyes, letting me know, from the day she was born, that she was smarter than I, an older soul. By four months, she had a vocabulary of about 50 words. She was speaking in sentences by the tenth month, when I discovered I was pregnant with Georgia.

I didn't know any better--didn't know that this was unusual. I'd never been around babies. (In fact, when Georgia was two and barely stringing a sentence together, I thought she might be "delayed.") It was odd, though, hearing the well-articulated thoughts of an angelic-looking toddler, the "I don't like that lady" directed at the stranger in the elevator, the "She has a jelly belly" at the pool. Kids don't even begin to get their filters until they're four or five, I think (some maybe never--Lola).

They say that memory is tied to language acquisition, which is why Sadie has always been able to remember things from before she was two. Anyway, all of this is just background to give you context for a lesson my oldest daughter taught me a few months after my sister died. Sadie was about two-and-a-half by this time and had had plenty of time to miss Kelly and let the idea of Death sink in. She and Kelly had been very close, lying together in the hospital bed day after day for the long stretches my sister was treated for cancer. Losing her aunt had been hard on Sadie, not to mention the fact that everyone around her was grief-stricken too.

So we were driving around in the car one afternoon and Sadie said, "I wish nobody ever had to die."

Well, being the adult, and wanting to offer her some comfort by way of a logical explanation of why that was impossible, I responded, "If no one died, there wouldn't be enough room in the world for the new babies." Then I started explaining life cycles...blah...blah...blah..., watching as anger and incredulity spread across her face. Before I had the good sense to stop myself, she stopped me, screaming, "THEN I WISH THAT EVERY TIME A BABY IS BORN THE WORLD WOULD GET BIGGER."

Sure. How dare I tread on her wish that way? It was a WISH, for god's sake; why put limits on it?

That moment changed me.

I've always loved Lyle Lovett's "If I Had a Boat." It reminds me of that moment--and of my sister, who was a lot like Sadie and who always wished big.

6 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

I love Sadie.

Anonymous said...

I so remember watching the girls in VA Highlands while you went for a run --- George crying most of the time and Sadie in the recliner with those big beautiful eyes, sucking her thumb and taking it all in. I seem to remember a pair of sparkly red Dorothy shoes too.....

Anonymous said...

Georgia still cries all the ime.

Anonymous said...

it' time greg. Time

sadie wants nothing more than to be a mommie. she wants 5 kids. she says if they misbehave in kroger she will blister their bottoms. she wants to be a mommie of good kids. she will be a great mommie.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the filter. Or lack thereof. Ava has chased away a couple of potential boyfriends for me by not ever utilizing hers, that filter that seems to operate just fine under social situations that don't involve me getting involved with a man who's not her father.("I'm really glad YOU are leaving now" for example, after one carefully prepared dinner.)

Anonymous said...

And I love Collin

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered