12.09.2006

Little Boxes



A couple of years ago, at a writers conference, I heard someone play this song at an open mic. That's when I decided I wanted to learn to play the guitar and Little Boxes in particular. The guitar came later, but I went straight out and found a copy of the Malvina Reynolds cd with the song on it and played it and sang it so much that Georgia started charging me two bucks for every time I even hummed the melody or used the word "box" legitimately in a sentence (I'd lost a bet--I can't remember exactly how she managed it).

Now that I have a guitar and Gaga's so in debt to me--what with her trip to Spain and her cell phone bill--I've thrown myself into it, practicing for hours...

I've never seen Weeds, but this was the only video I could find of Malvina's version (shortened, unfortunately). Sure looks like this was filmed in East Cobb.

PC students and grads, celebrate! You are the antithesis of "all the same."

7 comments:

Tania Rochelle said...

Hey Box Boy, is the meaning lost on you?

Collin Kelley said...

You've never seen "Weeds?" Honey, get thee to your Netflix queue and get Season 1 immediately.

Howard said...

I've never watched a lick of the show but what a cool title sequence. I'm gonna queue it up myself.

Oh and Tania, if you ever play it do tell me 'cause I'd like to see that action.

minus five said...

"shortened, unfortunately"

this is exactly what i was thinking.

and your dates are wrong again. it was 2003 when georgia started charging you for singing. i know because i was still in school and you subjected me to the same torture a few days in your office.

Rupert said...

from a certain hill in south San Francisco you can see the arcs of little boxes in Daly City that inspired that song - plus if you're on acid it makes it a tad stranger :)

Tania Rochelle said...

Howard--I'll play it for you.

MF-- a couple...a few...what's the difference?

M Ru--You are a fount of knowledge.

minus five said...

did you just use the word, "fount?"

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered