5.12.2008

Advice for the Grown-Ups on the Bert Show


I just read this little piece in one of Biggy's old Esquire magazines:

We're not going to do anything extreme, like, say, call for a ban on the word dude. It is important for us all to note, however, that the word is tired. It was funny when the Coen brothers reintroduced it to the culture in 1998, and it’s interesting to recall that because it was preceded by the article “the,” it was imbued with a mystical power. But now, ten years and Knocked Up later, it has become the untucked dress shirt of conversation between men, the verbal crutch for men who fear that youth may be slipping from their grasp...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

duuuuuude

Tania Rochelle said...

Exactly.

Now tell us how wasted you got last night.

Collin Kelley said...

Jeff Bridges portrayal of The Dude in The Big Lebowski is one of the finest moments in cinema. Ever. The Dude abides.

Anonymous said...

Oh, btw, GQ this month has an article about the use of "bro".

Tania Rochelle said...

And what's going on this this month's issue of David, Biggy?

Anonymous said...

The other day, a guy wearing a white polo shirt with a pink polo shirt underneath and spiky hair with "frosted tips" was hitting on me. His collar was popped and his jeans were comfortably frayed. Oh, and his skin was an orangey color. Anyway, as he told me he thought I had "mad style" and bragging about his big time accountant job he referred to me as dude again and again. DUDE!? I finally interrupted his surfing adventure story to say that I had to go feed my dog and made my way back to my non-dude non-frosted tip friends.

That is my LAST time going out in buckhead.

Anonymous said...

amazing - I have a new spoken-word piece based on that Esquire column . . . combined with an homage to Bishop's The Waiting Room . . .

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered