5.20.2008

In The Car With Lola



Because Lola was deemed contagious and not allowed to go to school until tomorrow, Biggy and I tag-teamed taking care of her today. The plan: morning shift for me, and Biggy would meet us at Portfolio Center at noon, so I could get ready for my one o'clock class. On the way into town, Lo asked me to quiz her, a frequent request, and we started with spelling. As I often do, I looked around on the roadside for word ideas:

TR: Left.

Lo: Mom! That's too easy!

TR: Median

Lo: Huh? What's that?

TR: OK! Oil.

Lo: Boil?

TR: Fine. Boil.

Lo: But what did you say?

TR: I said OIL, but BOIL is fine.

Lo: Boil like that lady who always picks her son up from ASP has on her face? Do you know who I'm talking about?

TR: No, I don't think I've seen her.

Lo: Yes you have. She looks like she's got a big wad of gum in her mouth.

TR: Sick!

Lo: What exactly IS a boil anyway?

TR: I don't really know--some kind of infected bump. But I was thinking boil like 'boil water.'

Lo: On Fairly God Parents, Elmer has a big red boil named Bob on his face. Bob has a mouth and talks and controls Elmer.

TR: Seriously?! Who makes this sh-crap up?! Can you just spell it already? Or choose a different word?

Lo: That woman at ASP, with the boil on her face--do you think when she's asleep at night, if she rolls over on it, it will pop? I've been wondering about that.

TR: Oh my god, Lo! Can we change the subject?

Lo: What's inside a boil?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a good, festering facial bulge to liven up a conversation. Maybe next week it'll progress into a CARBUNCLE! What fun...

I've seen "Fairly Odd Parents". Like it. I wonder myself who makes this sh-crap up. We're a long way from "Yogi Bear"...

ButtonHole said...

And don't forget the ever-popular WEN. I believe that's caused by an iodine deficiency. Or perhaps an iodine-surplus. So careful there with the iodine.

You might wish to send young Lo to this site. I like the thumb-like cyst growing by the ear, myself. Very Picasso-esque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_cyst

I just realized I'm thinking of goiter, not wen. Still more to worry about.

Anonymous said...

count your blessings tania. Lo's questions are better than granny's.
granny would ask me if i remember great uncle bud's, twice removed from her dad's side, big purple birthmark on his left ear, or was it his right ear. anyway, you have to remember it. we went to their house when you were five, or was it six, and we stayed a week, or maybe two, and the other relative, aunt beulah, from great-great grandma's side came with her little shit-zoo, Boob, or was it Babs. anyway do you remember that birth mark? it was sooo ugly.

ButtonHole said...

Bravo, Mamoo! Excellent work!

Anonymous said...

Tell Lo that when the lady rolls over at night, it may pop.

What is a boil?

A boil, also referred to as a skin abscess, is a localized infection deep in the skin. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with infection-fighting white blood cells that the body sends from the bloodstream to eradicate the infection. This collection of white blood cells, bacteria, and proteins is known as pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin.

Anonymous said...

FYI- the "Fairly Odd Parents" has an animator named Bob BOYLE who works for Nickelodeon....hence the boil named Bob.
If the show gets dropped, do they fire him....or LANCE him?!

Tania Rochelle said...

Kathy! How did you become such a boil expert?

Is there a special ointment?

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered