8.14.2006

Bow To The Big Yellow Bus

Today, I'm celebrating the start of a new school year. What kind of miracle is it that my kids disappear each morning to be entertained--taught even!--by the someones whose sole job it is to lead, supervise, and discipline them ALL DAY LONG. Hooray for teachers! Hooray for the monstrous brick buildings! Let's hear it for the principals with their ugly tie tacks, the lunchroom ladies with their little hairnets, and the custodians with their muddy mop buckets!


Georgia got up extra early to make the chocolate chip pancake batter so Biggy could make Lo's breakfast. Nice teamwork.




For their LAST first day of high school, the senior girls wear black dresses and attend a special breakfast of their own. Here's mine and Biggy's conversation this morning concerning the event:

TR: Apparently, some of the moms are going over to the breakfast to take pictures.

Biggy: Who has time for that?

TR: I'm guessing those moms don't have six-year-olds AND seventeen-year-olds.

Biggy: They don't have jobs either, because their husbands are loaded.

TR: True. I'm going to try not to feel guilty.

Biggy: I'm just glad it's free.




Our first-grader. Biggy tries not to cry.




We couldn't find her a bigger book bag.



Look how excited JackMan is about his first day of high school.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

such beautiful children, and then there's greg. were you just a little sad, tania? i can remember what you and kelly wore on your first day of school.

Rupert said...

reminds me of one of my fav lines from Karaoke - the one where you're luxuriating in the exhaust fumes of the school bus and breathing deeply - still makes me smile

Tania Rochelle said...

I'm not even a little sad.

And thanks, M. ru, for remembering.

Anonymous said...

Mamoo- BITE ME!!

T, I will only cry twice when it comes to Lola's schooling- Once when she got on the bus for the first day at Kindergarden, and then again when we ship her off to college (which depending on her teenage years, may be tears of joy). Today there was not an ounce of moisture in my eyes thank you very much.And thanks Georgia for making the instant pancake batter for me.Yeah,I would have never figured that one out.

Collin Kelley said...

Awwww...school days.

Blech.

minus five said...

is it weird that i like the smell of school bus seats and school buses in general? because i do. i also like the fake hamburgers they served in the cafeteria.

and new school supplies.

Mary Campbell said...

How adorable...even the husband. That reminded me of my first day of school when I was a kid...always nervous, I hated getting on the big yellow bus...I was always certain it was going to wreck and I'd be trapped underneath the fattest sweatiest kid on the bus.

Collin Kelley said...

The best food in the cafeteria was always the freeze-dried pizza. Everything else was disgusting until I became a senior and we had "senior lunch" in a different part of the school, where they served real hamburgers, Chick-fil-a, etc. Or we just snuck off campus to Wendy's.

Tania Rochelle said...

Yes, Sarah, it is weird.

Collin, I always stuck to the milkshakes.

Anonymous said...

garey, i think you are itching for a nipple pinching.

Tania Rochelle said...

That was a tear, all right.

Anonymous said...

yes, from now on, Garey must call me Mr. Biggy.

Tania Rochelle said...

Garey, you might also be interested in the little conversation George and I had driving down the road yesterday:

G: I can't BELIEVE I have to get up and go to school tomorrow.

TR: I can't believe Garey does NOT have to get up and go to school.

G: You're really a masochist, aren't you?

TR: I think you have sadist and masochist mixed up.

G: Oh, trust me, I KNOW what they both mean...

Tania Rochelle said...

I'm keeping my distance.

Anonymous said...

All the pictures are beautiful (yes, even Biggy - making a special breakfast for your daughter's first day of first grade is very sweet). I was feeling very sentimental and a little homesick after seeing these photos. Your babies have turned into amazing, smart, beautiful people. And if that weren't enough, they all got a big dose of their Mom's sense of humor. You know how happy that makes me.

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

I emailed this comment to my rich uncle (always good to stay in touch with rich uncles since you can't marry them) today about the first day of school for Harry Potterette... "Believe you me, as someone who’s tried to work all summer around a trillion “Mommy! Can you ____________ (fill in the blank)?”, I skipped outta that school singing Zippidy Doo Da at the top 'o my lungs."

Anonymous said...

Shopping the cheap battery,you can see from here.

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered