8.25.2006

Late For Work Again



Every morning, from the time I wake up and walk down the stairs to make coffee, I'm stepping over--or on--the dogs. I take them out before feeding them their "wet" food, which doesn't keep them from begging for Pringles as I make Lo's and Jack's lunches. They scratch at my knees while I eat breakfast, and then, after they watch me shower, they lick the water off my ankles.

But around the time I'm applying mascara, they disappear. I never really notice until I have my keys in my hands and I'm ready to walk out the door. This is when I start looking for Daisy and Stella to put them out on the screened-in porch--somewhere they don't want to be. Until today, I could always find Daisy sleeping on Georgia's bed or on my own pillow. I'd put her up and start screaming for the little rat, Stella. I have to search closets, pat down blankets, and look under furniture. She gets better with practice too.

Evidently, Daisy's been taking notes, because today, they both hid. It was 8:35 when I found them--Daisy under JackMan's bed and Stella under Lo's--so far back in the corners I had to crawl on my belly to drag them out by their tails. I had a 9 a.m. meeting to make--and a 40-minute drive to get there.

13 comments:

minus five said...

i'm just surprised jack has a bed.

Anonymous said...

not only does he have a bed, but he's got the nicest of the three kids. It's got a bed on top with a futon couch below it. And it's glossy red. Georgia's, as she'll tell anyone who will listen, doesn't even have a headboard.

Daisy crawled under it because it's the least smelly of all the children's beds. I'm guessing Lola's must be smellier than Gaga's, hence Stella's preference.

minus five said...

its just an observation, but i'm pretty sure we're the only losers at home on a friday night blogging. i feel alright about it.

Anonymous said...

no, I'm sitting at Faces using wifi.

Tania Rochelle said...

Yeah, he's watching me sing karaoke.

minus five said...

are you guys the bread for the tammy sandwich?

Jennifer said...

T, Tell Biggy I will visit very soon-- with Bianca so that Stella and Daisy have a playmate. You may not pull her by her tail, but I am certain she will make love to your leg, Biggy's leg too if he's lucky. It's probably been a while since Biggy's gotten lucky, right? Yeah, that's what I thought. I'll bring all my laundry along too so Jack has something to do.

Tania Rochelle said...

Jennifer, you sound like the perfect house guest! MF didn't bring a dog OR laundry for Jack. And she was always whining about being hungry.

Garey! You and your little tekkie geek friends have internet, I'm sure. So I'm not buying you couldn't read my blog all week. You need to come over and apologize in person. Without the dog.

Anne Elser said...

I love it that you took the time to snap a quick picture of yer creatures. You make a great photo journalist. Do you walk around your house with the camera around your neck?

Tania Rochelle said...

Anne, I figured I was already late anyway...might as well go grab the camera.

minus five said...

first of all, i did have dirty clothes with me, but i wasn't going to make jack wash them. every other family i stayed with while i was away asked me if i had any dirty clothes that they could wash. not you guys.

and second of all, i was always hungry because you refused to feed me except at dinner time. no breakfast. no lunch. i didn't even get to drink anything when i was thirsty. just exercise and starvation.

i can't wait to come back.

minus five said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
amy rush said...

I thought it was funny, too, that despite your lateness, you took time to take the photos. I'm glad you did.

They look like my dog when he's done something he KNOWS he shouldn't have, before I've even said anything. I think, "if you're so sure you're bad, just don't do it!" It's 'cause they know they're cute and all we want to do is take their picture all day.

About Me

My photo
Writer, teacher, student, mom.

Fresh Flowers Delivered